Herpes infection is caused by Herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of HSV. The HSV type 1 causes oral herpes while HSV type II causes genital herpes. There is no cure for herpes infection as it is a viral infection. Once an individual is infected with HSV, the virus stays dormant in the nerve cells for life. There is no treatment for herpes infection but the symptoms may be resolved with the help of treatment or drugs prescribed when there is an outbreak. The condition can re-occur when the immune system of an individual is compromised due to stress or other medical conditions. This infection is very common, which has made many people to look for herpes cure. This has resulted in many alternative medicines being developed to counter this condition. Colloidal silver is one of the popular alternative medicines.
What promoters’ of Colloidal Silver claim
The colloidal silver promoters make many claims about the effectiveness of colloidal silver. They claim that colloidal silver supports the immune system of the individual and helps the body fight disease causing bacteria, fungi and viruses. Colloidal is a good alternative to antibiotics. The promoters believe that it can treat several medical conditions such as pneumonia, scarlet fever, herpes and syphilis among others. They further claim that it works a little different from antibiotics.
• It disables the enzymes needed by bacteria, fungi, viruses to survive and thrive and hence preventing their growth
• It also promotes healing of injured tissues while also reducing inflammation
• Antibiotics cause damage to even good enzymes in the body because they act indiscriminately on enzymes. This is unlike colloidal silver, which only acts on enzymes that encourages microorganisms to multiply without affecting tissue cell enzymes.
Arguments that discourage the use of colloidal silver
The purpose of silver in the body is unknown and thus, many people do not consider it important to the body. Furthermore, it is not an essential nutrient and thus, there are no known diseases or conditions caused by silver deficiency or related to the deficiency of silver in the body. The medical community discourages the use of silver solutions that may contain higher amounts of silver than mention on the product labels.
In 1999 Food and Drug Administration (FDA) had warned against the use of colloidal silver medical products by claiming it is not safe and effective. The amounts of silver available in colloidal supplements vary greatly and this might cause health risks. Furthermore, some products that are promoted as health products are usually mislabeled.
• The use of Colloidal silver may result in interactions with other antibiotics medications such as quinolones, penicillamine, tetracyclines and thyroxine
• It may also speed up the production of melanin in the skin, which may result in increased discoloration of areas exposed to the sun.
• Authorities had also claimed that a medical condition known as argyria is caused by the use of colloidal silver. The argyria condition is irreversible and it is caused by improper exposure to different forms of silver and mostly the impure forms. The condition is characterized by generalized or localized bluish discoloration of the skin.